- New U.S. Passports
New U.S. Passports
Schedule an Appointment
The Irondequoit Town Clerk's Office offers passport service for the convenience of local residents. These passport services are available from 9 am to 3 pm. Monday through Friday by appointment only.
Since the federal government is scrutinizing passport applications with greater care than ever before, each person must apply for his or her passport in person. In order to save time, please make an appointment before coming to Town Hall to apply for a passport by calling 585-467-8840.
Currently, the U.S. Department of State provides passports in 4 to 6 weeks for routine applications and about 3 weeks for expedited service. These timeframes are subject to change and could be longer than expected.
Application Requirements for New Passports
To apply for a passport, your passport application must be accompanied by:
- Proof of Citizenship- Acceptable documents include:
- A previous U.S. passport
- An original or certified copy of a birth certificate (must have both parents names on it)
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Naturalization Certificate
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Proof of Identity- The only valid forms of identity accepted are:
- A valid driver's license
- Recently issued Certificate of Naturalization
- Recently issued Government ID card
- Two Identical Photographs - 2 inches by 2 inches in size
Requirements for Photographs
You may have your photos taken for $15 at the Town Clerk's Office when you apply for your passport. If you bring your own photos, please make sure they meet the following requirements:
- Photo must be in color with a light background
- Photo should be taken within the past 6 months, showing the current appearance
- Photo should be a clear front view of the individual's entire face
- Photo should be taken in normal street attire:
- Uniforms should not be worn except religious attire that is worn daily
- Do not wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline
- Prescription glasses, hearing devices, wigs or similar articles, if worn normally, should be worn for the picture
- Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless used for medical reasons (a medical certificate may be required)
Please Note: Vending machine photos are not generally acceptable.
Passports for Minor Children
All minors must appear in person.
Both parents or the child's legal guardian must:
- Present evidence of child's U.S. citizenship and
- Present evidence that they are the parents or guardian and
- Show valid personal identification and
- Sign and take oath before an authorized passport acceptance agent.
If the second parent is not available to sign, the appearing parent must:
- Do the above and,
- Present evidence that he/she has:
- Sole legal custody of the child, or a notarized consent form from the other parent for the issuance of the passport,
- Written statement explaining why non-applying parent's consent cannot be obtained.
If no parent is available to sign, The third-party in loco parentis must appear with a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or custodial parent(s) authorizing the third party to apply for a passport. When the statement or affidavit is from only one parent, the third party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent.
The most efficient way to apply for a child under age 16 is to present the required documentation and for both parents to appear at the time of application, or if only one parent can apply, that applying parent/guardian has the additional documentation required for a single signature application at the time of application.
Both parents and/or legal guardians will sign the application in the presence of the passport acceptance agent. Parents or legal guardians must have valid driver's license, which has been valid for at least 6 months.
Minors under age 16 must appear with parent or legal guardian (if guardian, bring legal guardianship papers). Minor must present 1 piece of signature identification (i.e. social security card, school I.D. card, library card or driver's license valid for at least 6 months.
A check made payable to: U.S. Department of State. View a full list of United States Passport Fees.
U.S. Passport Book
- Adult (age 16 and older) passport $130 (Personal Check or Money Order)
- Child (under age 16) passport $100 (Personal Check or Money Order)
U.S. Passport Card
- Adult (age 16 and older) passport $30.00 (Personal Check or Money Order)
- Child (under age 16) passport $15.00 (Personal Check or Money Order)
A fee of $35 per applicant will be required for both Passport Books and Cards. The fee must be paid in cash, personal check or money order made payable to: Town of Irondequoit.
Term of Passport
- Adult passports will be valid for 10 years.
- Child passports will be valid for 5 years. To renew a child's previous passport, the original birth certificate and previous passport must be submitted.