What do I need to do to open a new business in Irondequoit?

For any new business, the following permits are always required:

  • Change of Occupancy - The application addresses information about the change in business/owner and includes a safety inspection by the Fire Marshal prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy to the new business. The change of occupancy/use application form is available online.
  • Signage - Replacement of existing signs, sign panels, or free-standing signs and/or the installation of new signs requires a building permit be issued before the work is performed. View an online copy of the Building Permit Application (PDF).

Depending on the type and location of the new business, there may be other reviews required, including, but not limited to:

  • Building Permit - Changes to the exterior or interior space may require a building permit if it involves modifications to structural elements (walls, doors, windows) or electrical or plumbing work.
  • Fire Marshal Permit - The new occupancy may require permits issued through our Fire Marshal's office, including but not limited to: alarm systems, sprinklers, gas appliances, and kitchen equipment.
  • Board Reviews - New businesses may require review and approval by the Planning Board, Town Board, and/or Zoning Board of Appeals. If your new business requires an application to one of these boards, a staff member in the Planning and Zoning Department will be in touch once the Change of Occupancy application has been received.

Show All Answers

1. Are there any incentives available for new businesses?
2. Why do we need a Community Recreation Center?
3. What do I need to do to open a new business in Irondequoit?
4. How long does it take to get a permit?
5. Do I need a building permit?
6. What information do I need to apply for a building permit?
7. Can I perform my own work?
8. Is a permit required for a storage shed?